sits

Women Online

Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Our Peach Tree

It has finally cooled down a bit, so I decided to take a break from crocheting, our back yard is still a long way from what I'd like it to be, but it is oh so relaxing to just go outside and look around.

Last year I had a nice backyard with a beautiful collection of roses, some I had named after my grandchildren and some after loved ones.

Last mothers day (2010) my daughter, son in law and grandchildren gave me a wheel barrow full of veggies to plant. (total happiness)!!!!

It all started one morning in late spring, as is my morning routine during the spring months, I took my coffee outside, breathed in the cool morning air, and proceeded to water my plants.
Well, at first I noticed that a few of my roses looked a bit wilted, this is strange since everything around here gets watered every other day, but oh well, I flooded my backyard and thought nothing of it.

That same evening as we sat outside enjoying the cool evening breeze, again I noticed that my tomatoes didn't look as perky, Hmmmm, more water.
Something wasn't right. For some reason which I now don't remember, I decided to shake one the rose bushes,
to my surprise it just fell over and we discovered that it had no roots!!!

Long story short, my entire rose and veggie garden was eaten up by gophers!! We never imagined that such small critters could cause so much damage. We have had to start from scratch.
This little peach tree survived because it was in a planter. My husband also managed to save our lemon tree. ( it's now in a planter)

I am still battling those horrible little rat things, :-(. but they can't get to this little guy (gophers can't dig through granite). I know there are only eight small peaches, and that this year I won't be making peach pie, but they will not enjoy a single fruit from our peach tree.

Have a great rest of your evening!!!!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment